Here we answer many typical questions about M4, mfx® and our command stations.
What can I do to ensure a safe M4 operation on my layout?14.09.2009
What can I do to ensure a safe M4 operation on my layout?
The are some important factors that you can control:
- Layout wiring. Track power feeder on a H0 layout at least every 1.5m (3 to 5 feet) and before and after each turnout/switch.
- Lay track power wires (B+0) from a booster and separately from each individual booster to the layout, you may connect the ground wires over there together to build a common ground.
- Power bus wires and supply lines of ECoS and ECoSBoost should be as short as possible and not fall below a wire gauge of at least 1.5 mm² (AWG 16), where more than 8m (24’) distance. Wire gauges under 0.5mm² (AWG 20) are for general supply lines for ECoS / ECoSBoost unsuitable (1.0mm ² (AWG 18) for ECoSBoost 8A).
- M4 Loks nur programmieren, wenn sich diese auf M4 rückmeldetauglichen Abschnitten befinden.
- The command station should be shut down by pressing the STOP button (hold for 3 seconds and wait until the STOP button is flashing).
When does the new registration of my M4 takes place on my layout?10.09.2009
A new registration of a M4 loco takes always place when:
- You make programming modifications with the LokProgrammer or with another (not M4-) central station.
- After a data back-up carried out on your central station.
- When in the meanwhile the M4 locomotive has been driven by another M4 speaking command station, also by the Märklin mobile station.
- When the M4 loco stands on a breaking section, block section or a currentless section. Also when the loco has not been put onto the layout before (showcase) or another loco has been deleted.
- After a RESET of the M4 central station.
- When the M4 loco has been deleted (the same when in Setup 2, "delete objects", all locos had been deleted before).
- M4 loco gets a decoder reset.
- While stopping, some loco will be deleted.
A new registration must never be interrupted, also not by breaking or block sections.
Which qualifications must be fulfilled so that a M4 decoder locomotive gets recognised by the system?10.09.2009
To make it possible that a locomotive with a M4 or a Märklin® mfx® decoder will be automatically recognised by the sytem, it has to comply with the following requirements:
- The loco must not stand on a 6017 booster circuit, or onto another booster circuit which doesn´t speak the M4 protocol.
- The loco must neither stand on a breaking section, nor a block section.
- The loco must not stand on a currentless stopping section.
- The M4 protocoll is activated in Setup 2 of the command station.
- The software version of the command station is not older than V3.0.1.
- Especially if temporary registration problems occur, we recommend to delete all M4 locos, shut down your command station by stopp, re-boot it. The command station will recognise all M4 locos and register them. Please wait until the command station is finished.