Art.No. 31040 - Diesel engine VT 69 900, green, DC
Art.No. 32040 - Diesel engine VT 69 900, green, AC
In the 1920-ies the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft took measures in order to speed up freight traffic. Since the percentage of express freight was relatively low compared to the total volume it was common practice to add an express freight car to normal passenger service. However, it soon became apparent that the passenger trains lost too much time due to shunting freight cars to goods sheds.
As a result of considerations the LEIG concept (Leichter Eil-Güterzug) or light freight express service was developed. Light trains usually hauled by passenger train locomotives with a maximum of 12 freight car axles were connecting the most important towns.
Since there were no passengers allowed on these trains they only stopped at the goods sheds at stations and eliminated the need for shunting operations. Thus both passenger service and freight service became much faster. Express freight was sorted on board of these trains.
At the end of the 1930-ies the Waggonfabrik Wismar delivered three freight rail cars with two sliding doors on each side. The vehicles numbered as VT 10 001 through 10 003 were powered by a Maybach diesel engine G 4a delivering 150 HP.
The rail cars were equipped with a manual four gear gearbox. Power transmission was facilitated via a jackshaft, the driving rods to the tow wheel sets of one bogie. The four radiator groups with four elements each were located on the roof.
In comparison to the express freight trains hauled by steam locomotives these rail cars offered better working conditions for the personnel due to smoother running properties, lower fuel consumption as well as due to the fact that the vehicles did not have to be turned at their terminal stations if they were running solo.
Since coal was much cheaper than diesel oil at the time these rail cars could not win points due to their low fuel consumption. Various photographs provide proof that the ability to add three coaches (six coach axles) with a total load of 85 tonnes was regularly utilised.
The first two rail cars were assigned to the depot in Aachen while VT 10 003 went to Osnabrück. After World War II all three vehicles remained in the occupied zones of West Germany. The DB renumbered them as VT 69 900 through 69 902 and stationed all three vehicles in Osnabrück as from 1949.
Despite the fact that these rail cars with only three vehicles belong to the rather unimportant class of individual types they were only decommissioned in 1960 and 1962.
Due to the ESU LokSound V4.0 M4 decoder running a diesel rail car like the VT 69 is pure pleasure. The decoder can automatically register with Märklin® and ESU central units / command stations. Due to the integral PowerPack the old-timer diesel rail car moves smoothly even at low speeds and on dirty track.
Besides the realistic diesel sound one can hear the squeal so typical for rail vehicles passing turnouts or going through tight curves. Of course, these diesel cars have an integral smoke generator producing the exhaust fumes synchronised to load and speed by the LokSound decoder. This model facilitates all prototype lighting options.
Directional lighting can be turned off at the end were trailers are coupled. Lighting for shunting mode and the train end signal Zg2 valid until the 1950-ies have been realised. Cab lighting also works subject to direction of travel. Of course, the H0 personnel sorting the freight enjoy proper lighting at their work places in the freight compartment.
|Model||Plastic body on a metal chassis|
|Five pole skew wound motor on one bogie driving both axles of that bogie|
|Two traction tires|
|ESU LokSound V4.0 M4 decoder|
|Directional lighting white / red|
|Shunting lights, interior and cab lighting can be switched separately|
|Squealing noise at turnouts and in sharp curves|
|Minimum radius 360 mm|
|The model is made in cooperation with Liliput.|